Walter Stephan has research interests in intergroup relations, prejudice and stereotyping, and attribution processes. He is a Fellow of the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, which awarded him and his co-authors the 1996 Klineberg award for Intercultural Relations and the 2002 Gordon Allport Intergroup Relations Prize. He is a founding member and Fellow of the International Academy of Intercultural Research.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Causal Attribution
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Intergroup Relations
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Stephan, W. G., & Vogt, W. P. (Eds.) (2004). Education programs for improving intergroup relations: Theory, research and practice. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Stephan, W. G., & Stephan, C. W. (2001). Improving intergroup relations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
- Stephan, W. G., & Stephan, C. W. (1996). Intergroup relations. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Stephan, W. G., Renfro, C. L., Esses, V. M., Stephan, C. W. & Martin, T., (2005). The effects of feeling threatened on attitudes toward immigrants. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 29, 1-19.
- Stephan, W. G., & Finlay, K. (1999). The role of empathy in improving intergroup relations. Journal of Social Issues, 55(4), 729-744. Reprinted in S. Plous (Ed.). (2003). Understanding Prejudice and Discrimination. Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill.
- Stephan, W. G., Ybarra, O., & Bachman, G. (1999). Prejudice toward immigrants. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 29, 2221-2237.
- Ybarra, O. & Stephan, W. G. (1996). Misanthropic person memory. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 70, 691-700.
- Renfro, C. L., Duran, A., Stephan, W. G., & Clason, D. L. (2006). The role of threat in attitudes toward affirmative action and its beneficiaries. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 36(1), 41-74.
- Stephan, W. G., & Abalakina, M. P. (1996). Russia and the West: Intercultural relations. In D. Landis and R. Bhagat (Eds.), The Handbook of Intercultural Training (pp. 366-381). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Stephan, W. G. (2008). The road to reconciliation. In A. Nadler, T. E., Malloy, & J. D. Fisher (eds.): The Social Psychology of Intergroup Reconciliation. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Leung, K., & Stephan, W. G., (2001). Social justice from a cultural perspective (pp. 375-410). In D. Matsumoto. (Ed.), The Handbook of Culture and Psychology. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Stephan, W. G., Ybarra, O., & Rios Morrison, K. (2008). Intergroup Threat Theory. In T. Nelson (Ed.), Handbook of Prejudice. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Stephan, C. W., & Stephan, W. G. (2004). Intergroup relations in multicultural education programs (pp. 782-798). In J. A. Banks and C. McGee-Banks (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Multicultural Education (2nd ed.). New York: Jossey-Bass.
- Hertz-Lazarowitz, R., Zelniker, T., Stephan, C. W., & Stephan, W. G. (Eds.) (2004). Improving Arab-Jewish relations in Israel: Theory and practice in coexistence education programs. A special issue of the Journal of Social Issues,60(2).
- Applied Social Psychology
- Environmental Psychology
- Intercultural Relations
- Intergroup Relations
- Interpersonal Relations and the Self
- Introductory Psychology
- Methods of Psychology
- Research Methods in Social Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Theories of Personality
2097 Aliali Place
Honolulu, HI 96821
- Phone: (808) 373-2391